Ireland Trip 2018 - Day 3 - Arriving at Ballybeg House

3:07 PM AirplaneFoodCritic 0 Comments

Our last day in Dublin, we had yet another wonderful breakfast at the hotel. I have not felt hungry for this whole trip because I have been eating and drinking like crazy. Despite that, I always have room for a large European breakfast. Why is it that things just taste better over here? I mean, even the porridge aka oatmeal is incredible. For this breakfast I went straight for the items I liked the most from yesterday's breakfast. That means lots and lots of bread and butter. I make bread at home and it still never tastes as good as it does here.


Apple juice, porridge with nuts, raisins and honeycomb, coffee, hazelnut yogurt and a assortment of breads, cheeses and meat
I have mentioned it before but on trips like these, where the breakfasts are so wonderful, I get the room and breakfast included. That way I eat as much as I dare and save money because I skip lunch. Even doing this, I am barely hungry for dinner! 
A little taste of the drive.


We checked out of our lovely hotel, took a taxi to the car rental place and began our drive to Ballybeg House, the site that the wedding will be at. The drive was nice. I watched the green, green grass fields go by. Most of those fields were dotted with sheep. What is the saying? Sheep on the left is good luck or something like that. I kept announcing sheep on the left and sheep on the right just to be safe. There were cows as well. 
Me at the entrance of the working mill.

As we have been driving and stopping and getting back in the car, we laugh at one another because at least one of us will accidentally try to get in on the wrong side of the car. It is something I never really get used to. Even when I drive around Ireland for two weeks I would sometimes get in the passenger seat trying to drive. We made one stop before Ballybeg and that was at a place called Avoca. Avoca is a fine weavery. Is that a word? I don't think so. It is actually a mill but that sounds so plain. They are famous for making exquisite scarves, blankets and more. They have lambswool and cashmere. My brother is a Avoca blanket junkie and had to stop at this particular spot because this is where they actually weave the fabric.  
Walking through where they make the wonderful blankets.

We did a little shopping...well, my brother did a lot of shopping...but I got darling sheep salt and pepper shakers to go with my barnyard animal theme kitchen and I bought a tie for the BF. After shopping we walked the grounds which are just beautiful. The spring flowers are all in bloom. It was a very peaceful place. Then we went into the mill itself to watch them working. You can do a free self guided tour which takes you right up close and personal with the looms. 
Pretty flowers on the grounds

More loomy things

We piled back into the car with our new goodies and made our way to Ballybeg House, our home for the next couple days. Mom's handy phone got us to the grounds easily and Dad did great driving on the wrong side of those tiny, tiny roads. I always remember when I was the driver and thinking how damn narrow the roads are. Not only are they narrow but they have stone walls or thick hedges lining the sides so that you need to squeeze between that and oncoming traffic. We only hit a few bushes and I think that is a good day.
The beautiful table set for tea.
The sandwiches. The egg salad was out of this world.
The sweets. The cake was a fluffy and light angel food cake not too unlike a strawberry shortcake

We were the first of the 13 person group to arrive. We all knew we were showing up in the late afternoon so an afternoon tea was arranged ahead of time. It was held in a side room lined with windows so we could look out onto the lovely grounds. It was pretty. They let us walk around for a while while we waited for the other guests to arrive. We got to snoop around the main house which had three or four bedrooms, a full kitchen and pantry, two sun rooms (for lack of a better word since it is Ireland so how much sun could there be?), a lounge and a library.
The dairy where we stayed.

View of the grounds

My room that looked out over the grassy fields and sheep.

Pods where the younger members of the group spent a lot of time.

Myself and my immediate family are to stay in the Dairy of the grounds. The parents of the bride and of the groom are staying in the house along with the maid of honor. The two groomsmen are staying in what are being called the "Pods" which are funny little hut-like things down the road a little bit. I am so happy we got the Dairy because it was comfortable, quiet and easy to get to. The bride and groom stayed in a whole house of their own called the Grouse Lodge. That was a ways away from the rest of the grounds. 
Chapel from front door

Chapel from where the people get married at...the altar if you will.

We took some time to peek about in the chapel area and bar where the reception will be. It all looks just beautiful. My cousin, the bride, actually wants it to rain on her wedding day. She feels it is a more Irish thing to happen. I think it will be lovely rain or no rain because the grounds are so green, peaceful and just pleasant to be at. 
Pub nearest Ballybeg House The food was not too bad.

After some rest we all went to the nearest pub where the parents of the groom bought us all dinner and plenty of libations. They also organized a band to play. It was a good first night.
The two man band.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: