Sirtfood Diet - The Juice on The Juice

12:47 PM AirplaneFoodCritic 0 Comments

It's juice so it's a little easier to drink down than a smoothie. That's a good thing, right?


You can not do this diet without the juice. It is the driving force behind the everything. The Sirtfood Green Juice is the majority of what you will consume for the first week and you continue to drink it in smaller quantities during the weeks following. If you would like to know exact number of drinks  you will have daily please see my last post for more details.  I will post the recipe without further ado then I will give you some tips and pointers the ingredients, making it and drinking it. You will find this recipe in The Sirtfood Diet book, now called "Official" because there have been many copies and adaptations. If you are unsure if you are looking at the original book, make sure it is by the original authors, Aidan Goggins and Glen Matten.

Look for these authors for the real deal.


Sirtfood Green Juice Recipe

2 ounces kale
1 ounce rocket (aka arugula)
0.2 ounce flat leaf parsley
0.5 inch fresh ginger
2 sticks celery with leaves 
0.5 green apple
juice of half a lemon
0.5 teaspoon matcha

Juice all ingredients except for the matcha. 
Add matcha powder
Mix

This should make one serving of 1 cup or 250ml.


One serving??? 

If you are anything like me, it is a huge hassle to drag out my 12 year old juicer, cram and force relatively dry vegetables into it while it coughs and fights me the whole way. Then there is the fun clean-up afterwards. I do not have a dishwasher so it is a full sink of dirty parts. I will tell you what you need to juice nine servings which is three to four days worth of juice during the first phase. The juice will last fine for that many days in your refrigerator. Plus I found that nine servings is about all my juice pitchers will hold. 

Sirtfood Green Juice Recipe For 9 Servings

18 ounces kale
9 ounces rocket (aka arugula)
2 ounces flat leaf parsley
5 inch fresh ginger
18 sticks celery with leaves 
5 green apples
juice of 5 lemons
1.5 tablespoons matcha


If you are thinking...that's a whole lotta kale!!...you are correct. But wait til you are at the store weighing out enough for a week! Ok so you have you ingredients now what? Now you juice them. I have an old juicer that I did all this research on back in 2013. I even blogged about it with my awesome, high quality 2013 phone photos. It is clear that I did not then, and I do not now, have fancy blogging photo set ups. No ring shaped light. No white sheet backdrop...or even clean counters for that matter. But who of us is really reading blogs for the stuff in between the recipes? Thank you, by the way, those of you who are reading this far. 

NO ONE has this much fun juicing. What is wrong with you, sister??


How To Juice

So now you know I have a very old and inexpensive juicer. And maybe you have a nicer one or maybe they make them way better nowadays. If that is the case, lucky you. But if you are like me, then juicing is a physical sport. I can't just drop a snowflake of kale into it and out drips liquid green gold and I go on with my day all the healthier for it. Noooooo. I have a very picky juicer that refuses to juice dry vegetables and instead spins so fast that it emits a burning smell which I can only assume is not a good thing. I have learned from my previous juicing experiences that it takes some bribing to get it to do what I need. 

If you have this sort of problem here is what you do. I have to alternate the dry, leafy bits with the wetter beefier bits. With the parsley and arugula I put a layer of about a third of an apple followed by a bunch of greens then smash some more apple chunks on top. A couple layers of each is fine then top it off with a layer of the apple. I always book end the greens with the fruit. Then there is the kale. Kale is big and leafy and unruly. I take a whole stalk of kale and place apple chunks down the center like little baby Jesuses in a green manger. Then I place another stalk of kale over them. I sort of wrap it up and then cram it down into the juicer hole....for lack of a proper term. The celery and ginger go fine on their own. Although I do chop up the ginger, I do not bother to peel it. Lemons are great. I use a knife to cut off the pith and plop the naked lemon ball in. 
See how I cram place the bits of apple in with the kale?



The celery is one of the easiest things to juice but the least tasty.


How To Drink Juice

I can hear you saying, "C'mon, AirplaneFoodCritic, I'm over the age of five, I think I know how to drink fluids by now!".  I apologize for implying you didn't. But once you make this juice and take your first sip you will undoubtedly be saying, "HOW DOES ANYONE DRINK THIS STUFF??". And that is when you will be remembering this section of the blog. 

So how DO you drink this stuff? Well, I don't. Sorry. It's gross. I freaking hate celery. Never could stomach the stuff and of course it has to be a major sirtfood. But guess what else is a sirtfood? Plums. Black plums. And guess what's in season right now? You got it, plums. So I admit I also add a few plums to the 9 serving juice.

Juice of plums is a beautiful color red, in a borscht kind of way.
.
Juice before plums is a lush green.

Secret weapon to make the juice palatable, black plums.



The plums, in my opinion, make the juice totally palatable. This now means that I have added calories to my daily intake but I can remove some from the meals which are freaking massive anyways. Once you mix in the plum juice with the green juice you get a beautiful shade of barf. I say just close your eyes, or better yet, be like me and put it in an opaque mug to help you forget the nightmarish color. The taste is there, trust me. 

Think of it as a chocolate color. Forget I said the word barf at all.


Speaking of drinking vessels, I have the perfect ones to use. The original recipe was developed in the UK where they are smart enough to use grams and liters (it's far superior in cooking and baking) so they say one serving of juice is 250ml which is roughly one cup. Sure, you could measure out one cup OR you could find some cool European cups that are a quarter liter. I bought mine at the Christmas Markets in Munich and Salzburg. You don't have to go as far to find them. Search around your local thrift shop (I miss thrift shopping!) or ebay/etsy. Or maybe you have a favorite mug from a vacation you like remembering. I think the cup you drink it out of is half the fun. I collect mugs and dishes from all my various travels. The BF calls it hoarding. I call it a photo album you can drink out of.

Here is my collection of Christkindlemarkt mugs. 


The European mugs often have volume delineations on them. A couple of mine have 0.25L written on them with a line. This marks 250 ml exactly which makes it super easy. Other of my cups say 0.21L which means that the booth I got that mug at is stingy with their booze. I kid. What you can do with those mugs is fill them to the very top and I have found that is the same as 250 ml.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: