Cauliflower, potatoes and pea curry

8:03 AM AirplaneFoodCritic 0 Comments




In my veggie box this week I got a whole head of cauliflower. I do not like cauliflower so it was a particularly exciting challenge for me. The bf loves the veggie and wanted to make something with it that his mother used to make for him. From past experiences with his family recipes I have learned that the food is very tasty but FULL of butter, cheese, grease and fat. All things I love but it sort of defeats the purpose of having a box of veggies sent to me every other week. After a brief explanation of my thoughts on the subject the bf conceded and allowed me to make up a recipe for the cauliflower.
As I said, I do not like cauliflower so I had to come up with a dish that masked the flavor and perhaps the texture too. I can see how cheese and butter would make that happen. I decided that I did need some sort of fat and if I also added some spice I could mask the vegetable pretty well. I also figured a cooked cauliflower florete might have a similar texture to a potato. I looked on line and found the perfect idea. A potato curry! A traditional cauliflower and potato dish in Indian and Pakistani cuisine is called Aloo Gobi. I took the idea and made it in more of a Thai curry way. I cooked it in about 15 minutes so this is a very easy dish to make. The recipe is below:

Cauliflower, Potatoes and Pea Curry

7 or 8 small potatoes
1 large onion, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
17 ounces of light coconut milk
1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
2 tbsp Mae Ploy Green Curry paste (or other curry paste)
1 tsp Turmeric
1 handful basil, chopped

1. Cut the potatoes into 3/4 inch squares and boil until slightly tender, about 5 minutes
2. Sauté onions on medium high heat in olive oil until onions are tender then add the coconut milk, peas and cauliflower.
3. Stir in the curry and turmeric and cook until cauliflower is tender, about 5 minutes.
4. Add cooked potatoes and stir until blended.
5. Top with basil and serve
Makes 4 large servings. Per serving: Calories: 510, Fat: 20g, Fiber: 11g, Protein: 15g

My secret ingredient that makes this dish so simple to create is the Mae Ploy curry paste. I love this product because it is packed with spice and flavor and it costs next to nothing. One little package of it can last months and months or more depending on how often you make curry. All you need to do is all coconut milk and you have an instant Thai curry dish that tastes like it is from a local restaurant.
Another good thing about this meal is that it is a vegetarian dish. The protein from the potatoes make it a well balanced meal. There is a higher amount of fat than I usually allow to have in my dishes but the coconut milk is so delicious and adds that creamy texture I wanted in this dish.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: