Tasty Healthy Recipes

11:46 AM AirplaneFoodCritic 0 Comments


I belong to a wine group that meets once a month to taste wines. Each meeting has a particular theme. This past weekend the theme was Gewürztraminer. I adore these wines. The aroma, the sweetness, the fruit. Everyone brings a dish pot luck style to share once we are finished tasting. I like to bring food that pairs with the wine we are tasting. I looked long and hard for a recipe that interested me and paired with the Gewürztraminer. The foods that pair best with this wine are spicy dishes like Thai food and curries or fruity dishes like strawberry shortcake. I came up with a wonderful dish that combined the fruit and spice and ended up pairing really well with the Gewurz.

Chevre Toasts with Grape Salsa

1 lb seedless red grapes (black works too, or you can mix colors)
1/3 poblano chili
1/2 jalapeño chili (more or less depending on your spice preferences)
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1/2 small red onion
Salt and pepper

1 whole grain baguette
8 ounces goat cheese
2 Tbsp soy milk (regular milk will do as well)

Remove the seeds from the poblano and jalapeno and chop both finely. Finely chop the red onion. Dice the grapes. This works best if you slice them twice lengthwise and then once widthwise. Place the peppers, onion and grapes in a bowl. Add the cilantro and vinegar and season to taste with the salt and pepper. Toss ingredients together.
Slice the baguette into 1/4 inch pieces and arrange on a baking tray. Toast the bread in the oven on broil for two minutes. Turn each piece over and broil for another two minutes or until toasted. Let the toast cool.

Put the chevre into a small bowl with the milk and blend until you have a smooth consistency. Spread about a tablespoon of the chevre mixture on a slice of toast and top with a mound of the grape salsa.

Chevre Toasts with Grape Salsa



Still on my diet, I have learned that if I mix my protein with fruit I get full faster, I have more energy and I seem to lose weight faster. I devised a recipe that gives me the protein and fruit I want in a meal with a tropical twist. One of my favorite restaurants is on Maui in a town called Paia. It is called Mama's Fish House. I go there at least once a year and every time I order the same starter. It is called Seared Beef Polynesian served in a Grilled Ripe Papaya. Below are a couple pictures of the beauty.



Mama's Fish House Polynesian Beef in Papaya

This is relatively simple to make at home but there is a lot of oil involved and I try to not eat red meat too often. I created a recipe to take to work as lunch that is more healthy but has a similar inspiration.

Tuna Salad in Fresh Papaya

1 6 oz can chunk light tuna
1/4 cup plain fat free Greek yogurt
1/2 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
1/2 Tbsp Mayonnaise (optional)
1 celery stalk, diced
1/4 red onion, diced
1 small pickle, diced
1/4 tsp dried dill
salt and pepper to taste

1 fresh, ripe papaya

Place all ingredients but the papaya in a bowl and stir to combine. Peel the papaya and slice in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to scrape out the seeds from the center leaving a smooth bowl shape. Spoon the tuna mixture into the papaya halves and serve!
Tuna Salad in Fresh Papaya

You Might Also Like

0 comments: