Radishes - Taco Salad

9:52 AM AirplaneFoodCritic 0 Comments



Radishes are my veggie of the week

In my box this week I had a bunch of fresh radishes. Another vegetable that I have never cooked with. I wasn't even sure if I liked radishes or not. I was uncertain of how I would feel about them so I decided to use them in a big, fresh salad where they could either hide among the other ingredients or they could be little shining stars. Turns out I love radishes and they went so well with this dish that I wished I had put more in. I also got to use up other vegetables from my box like a stray carrot, onions, tomatoes and lettuce.

I wanted to make sure the dish stayed healthy so I used ground turkey instead of beef and yogurt instead of mayonnaise or sour cream. I used feta as the cheese not because it is healthier than cheddar but because it was all I had in the house. And my taco salad was born:

Healthy Taco Salad with radishes

1 pound ground turkey
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp lime
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 clove garlic

1 bunch of lettuce, chopped
3 small tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 onion, diced
1 can of kidney beans, drained
1 avocado, diced
1 carrot, diced (optional)
6 small radishes, sliced
1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled

For the dressing:
1 cup plain greek yogurt
Juice of 1 lime
zest of 1 lime
1 pickled jalapeno, chopped finely
Hot sauce to taste

1 cup of tortilla chips, crushed.

1. Add turkey, cuminm chili powder, salt, lime, cayenne, paprika and garlic to a frying pan and heat on medium high until the meat is cooked through.

2. In a large salad bowl combine the lettuce, tomatoes, onions, beans, avocado, carrot radishes and cheese.

3. Top salad with cooked meat mixture.

4. For the dressing, combine the yogurt, lime juice and zest, jalapeno and hot sauce in a small bowl and blend.

5. Top the salad with the dressing and gently mix the salad until every thing is covered.

6. Add the crumbled tortilla chips and blend one more time. Serve.

creamy taco salad

This salad is great to have on a hot or cold day. It is easy to make and is packed with vegetables and lean proteins. The radishes added a nice, cool, sweet crunch to the salad. I am hungry just typing about it!


You Might Also Like

0 comments: