The Experiment - Seven Day Diet

8:45 AM AirplaneFoodCritic 0 Comments



It's crunch time. I have 7 days left before I leave. Seven days is a good amount of time because it is a round number in calendar terms. I have stayed at the same weight for the past week as I seem to have been doing on and off every month or so. Too bad it happened right when I am about to leave on my trip. I am nervous that I won't lose the amount I set out to lose in the time I gave myself. The bf says I should stop worrying because my physical appearance is such that it I need no more weight loss but my goal is my goal and I am so close.

What to do? I sat down and devised a strict seven day diet. I plan to stick to it rigidly for those seven days. . I used a website that I have mentioned before to calculate my weight loss caloric intake zone. I found that 1200 calories a day is a good number for me, based on my weight, gender and height, to have to have energy but still lose weight. So I started there. I am going to stick to the 5 meal a day plan that I have been following the whole time. I am also sticking to drinking two liters of water a day. I want this diet to have protein, good fat, fruits, vegetables, fiber and low sodium. How much protein do I need? I found a cool protein calculator that will tell you how much you need in a day based on your age, size, gender and activity level. There is also a cool fiber calculator. If you enjoy those, you might also like the fat calculator. These will tell the amounts recommended for your daily intake based on a recommended weight sustaining caloric intake for your particular body type and age.
Thinking about these things I came up with a diet plan that fits, basically, what I am looking for as well as is relatively tasty albeit a bit boring. I repeated the same meal plan every day. I figure I can't get that bored in seven days' time. So here it is:

5AM - BREAKFAST
3/4 cup pinto beans
1/2 avocado
1 poached egg
Hot sauce (preferably low sodium)

Heat pinto beans in a bowl, top with sliced bits of avocado and the poached egg. Season with hot sauce to taste.

Calories: 400, Fat: 20g, Sodium: 484mg, Carbs: 42.4, Fiber: 18g, Protein: 17.3g

8AM - MORNING SNACK
1/2 cup non fat cottage cheese
Pepper or hot sauce to taste

Calories: 52, Fat: 0g, Sodium: 239mg, Carbs: 5, Fiber: 0g, Protein: 7.5g

11AM - LUNCH
4 oz baked, grilled or poached chicken breast.
1 cup fruit (see below for fruit suggestions)

(This will vary depending on the fruit, this calculation done using an average fruit from the list below)
Calories: 265, Fat: 5.1g, Sodium: 86mg, Carbs: 19, Fiber: 4g, Protein: 36g

1PM - AFTERNOON SNACK
1/2 apple
1 Tbsp almond butter

Calories: 142.5, Fat: 8g, Sodium: 1mg, Carbs: 15.5, Fiber: 4g, Protein: 4g

4PM - DINNER
4 oz chicken breast, poached, grilled or baked
1 cup baby spinach
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 apple (from snack)
1 tbsp toasted chopped walnuts
1 oz feta cheese

Either eat the chicken breast alone or with hot sauce and mix the rest together as a salad or chop up the chicken into bite sized pieces and mix with other ingredients for one big salad.

Calories: 356.5, Fat: 12.5g, Sodium: 506mg, Carbs: 17.5, Fiber: 5.5g, Protein: 44.5g

TOTAL FOR THE DAY:
Calories: 1216, Fat: 45.8g, Sodium: 1316mg, Carbs: 99.4, Fiber: 31.5g, Protein: 109.3g

Shopping list:
I took this menu and made a shopping list. I needed:
4 avocados
4 cans of pinto beans
6 eggs (I still have some in my fridge)
1 bottle of hot sauce
4 cups (32 oz) non fat cottage cheese
1 package of frozen chicken breasts
7 apples
8 oz feta cheese
1 pkg of walnuts
1 bottle of balsamic vinegar
1 pkg of baby spinach
1 jar almond butter
2 grapefruits
1 large papaya
1 can unsweetened sour cherries in water (they aren't quite in stores fresh yet)

I actually already had the vinegar, cheese, walnuts, cherries, apples, chicken and almond butter. So all the rest at Trader Joe's cost me less than $20. Not bad for a week's worth of food!
I got home and defrosted 6 chicken breasts then grilled them up on my indoor grill. I put them in the fridge to be eaten for the next three days. That is really the only preparation I need to make for these meals. What takes longest is breakfast but I have a routine down now. I get up and turn on the pot of water with a splash of vinegar on the stove. I open a can of beans, pour about half out and microwave them for maybe 30 seconds while I cut the avocado in half, saved the half with the pit in the fridge for the next day and sliced up today's half. When the water is boiling I drop in my egg. While the egg is cooking (about two minutes) I put the avocado over the warm beans and top with a hot sauce. I scoop the egg from the water with a slotted spoon and top the beans with it. Done!
I did some research on fruits looking for the lowest carb, sugar and calorie ratios I could. I came up with a small list fruits that fall into this category:

Blueberries
Cherries
Grapefruit
Raspberries
Peaches
Papaya
Apples
Strawberries
I am considering doing some exercise just to tone up the softer parts. I have access to an exercise bike and I may try to use that every day until the trip. I say that now, but we shall see how I feel when I get home from work. I usually just want to snuggle up on the couch with the bf and doggy.
Saturday will be my one day off of this diet. I have another food group meeting, this time the theme is Greek food, one of my favorite kinds of food! Along with making Stuffed Courgettes (Kolokithikia Gemista) with Avgolemeno sauce, I am going to attempt some ambitious cupcakes and I am very excited about it. I have only made up the recipe in my mind so I have no idea how it will go. I plan to make baklava mini cupcakes. All the people who have attempted this type of cupcake so far have claimed it didn't come out very good. The only recipe I found that people liked was one where they took regular yellow cupcake mix and stuck a real piece of baklava in the center. I do not want to go that route though. I will share my results when I actually attempt to make the recipe that is in my head.

I will try to update as often as I can while on this seven day adventure. So far I would still like to lose 4 pounds. Let's see how it goes!

You Might Also Like

0 comments: