Recipe: Asian Style Lettuce Wraps

8:05 AM AirplaneFoodCritic 0 Comments


In my veggie and fruit box this week I got some lettuce, among other things. There are lots of easy ways to use up lettuce, specially in mid-August. But because this year's mid-August has been so cold and gloomy I wanted to make something that was a little more "stick to your bones" than the regular summer salad. The box from Farm Fresh To You always comes with recipes and one of them was for the Swiss chard I was given that involves stuffing the chard with meat and cooking similar to how you would make stuffed cabbage. The idea of stuffing the lettuce came to mind. My mind then wandered to the idea of making lettuce wraps.

I had the ingredients laying around my house so I figured it would be a good semi-summer meal. I looked up about a million recipes but in the end I ended up winging it to give it the flavors I like the best. The recipe is below.

Asian Style Lettuce Wraps

1 cup dry brown rice cooked in 2 cups water or broth
3 or 4 large cloves of garlic, minced
1 1/2 Tbsp fresh ginger, ground or minced
1 tsp ground coriander
1 Tbsp sesame oil
1 pound ground turkey
1 onion, chopped
1 fresh hot pepper, or two dried hot peppers, or 2 tsp chili paste
1 1/2 Tbsp honey
3 Tbsp soy sauce
3 Tbsp fresh basil, shredded
2 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
1 head or bunch of lettuce

1. Heat the sesame oil on medium-high heat and add the garlic, ginger and coriander for one minute.
2. Add the turkey and onions and cook for another 5 minutes.
3. Add the hot pepper, honey and soy sauce and stir in until the turkey is cooked.
4. Remove from heat and stir in the basil and sesame seeds.
5. Remove individual leaves from lettuce head, wash, dry and lay them out
6. Fill each lettuce wrap with the turkey filling and wrap
Taken with my phone at work, sorry for the poor quality.

I like to serve with a little siracha sauce but it is pretty spicy on it's own. Makes 4 servings.

Per Serving: Calories: 292, Fat: 11g, Fiber: 3g, Protein: 27g


You Might Also Like

0 comments: