The Best Healthy Stir Fry Ever

10:03 PM AirplaneFoodCritic 1 Comments



I was hungry at work so I started to think about dinner. I put together this idea of what to make that would use some of the food I had in the fridge that I wanted to use up. I jotted a few ingredients down. When I got home I started tossing all kinds of things in and ended up with a fantastic dish. We loved it so much I tried to repeat it the next night. I tried to remember what I added so I could share this fabulous dish with you. This took me about ten minutes to make. Remember that I never measure ingredients so this is my best attempt to but rules and boundaries on my cooking. Also, I used some flavored oils I had in the cupboard as my base oil but I am sure any oil would do. The oils I used were basil, garlic and ginger flavors.

Stir Fry Better Than Take Out

1 Tbsp Oil (flavored would be good or just canola or vegetable)
2 Large cloves of garlic
1 1/2 inch fresh ginger
2 dried hot peppers (or 1 tsp red pepper flakes)
1 1/2 Tbsp Soy sauce
1 Tbsp Fish sauce
1 Tbsp Rice wine vinegar
1/2 cup Chicken broth
1 Bell pepper
1 White onion
1 cup Snow peas
16 frozen shrimps, thawed, tails removed
1 Tbsp Flour
1 small handful fresh basil
3 Green onions
Pepper
Sesame Seeds, toasted

1. Peel ginger and chop finely along with the garlic and red peppers
2. Heat the oil in a wok or wide pan, add ginger, garlic and hot peppers. Stir until the flavors are released, about two minutes.
3. Add soy sauce, fish sauce, vinegar and broth and continue to heat on med high.
4. Cut onion and bell pepper into strips and add to wok with the snow peas. Cook for another couple minutes.
5. Cut shrimps in half and add to wok. Cook for another couple minutes until the shrimps turn pink.
6. Sprinkle flour over everything and immediately stir in to avoid clumping. Continue to cook for a few more minutes or until the sauce thickens up. If needed add more broth or flour to get the desired consistency.
7. Remove from heat. Chop the basil and slice the green onions. Gently stir into the mix.
8. Season with crushed pepper and sprinkle with sesame seeds.

I suggest serving this over some Asian noodles but rice would go well too. I like to season the noodles or rice with a tablespoon of sesame oil and a tablespoon of rice wine vinegar.

So simple but so delicious and there is nothing in it that is bad for you.

You Might Also Like

1 comment:

  1. This dish looks beautiful. It's amazing what recipes we can whip out when we are just tossing whatever is left in our fridge ;)

    I agree, this is definitely better than take-out!

    ReplyDelete