Warm Potato and Chicken Sausage Salad

7:16 AM AirplaneFoodCritic 0 Comments



I was visiting with my parents earlier this week. Their garden is going crazy with great veggies. I was sent home with some homegrown lettuce and potatoes. I have never had homegrown potatoes before. I left them on my kitchen counter and spent the next day at work dreaming up ways I would like to enjoy them. When I go on a vacation, I like to do a lot of planning beforehand because that way I feel like I am on the vacation already. The same thing goes for planning a meal. I can spend a whole day dreaming of food until I come up with a recipe in my head. Then I go make it and see if it works out. That is what I did yesterday. I daydreamed about potatoes.
I wanted to do these special potatoes justice. I considered just oven roasting them with some oil and herbs but that would have been just a side dish and I wanted these to be the main meal. Making potatoes a main meal means adding a protein. I thought through what I had at home and what I felt like eating and came to the conclusion that I wanted some form of warm potato and sausage mix. I had the recipe clear in my head but as I actually began to make the meal, I made some changes. First, I added way more sauce. Second, I added some spice. The third thing I did was on accident. I over cooked the potatoes. Turns out, I have not cooked potatoes very often in my life and had no clue how to and how long to cook them. At any rate, the final product was very well received so I thought I would share it with you.

Warm Potato and Chicken Sausage Salad

1 pound new potatoes
1 package chicken sausage (6 links)
1 tbsp oil
1/4 cup wine vinegar
1/4 cup broth or water
2 tbsp dijon mustard
2 tbsp maple syrup (honey would do fine too)
2 tsp red pepper flakes
Fresh herbs

1. Cut potatoes into quarters and boil or steam until just tender.
2. Slice sausage into 1/2 inch coins and fry in a large frying pan.
3. Add the oil, vinegar and water to the sausage. Scrape the fried bits off of the bottom of the pan and remove the pan from heat.
4. Add the mustard and syrup to the sausage and blend well.
5. Add the potatoes and pepper flakes to the sausage and mix gently to coat with the sauce. Sprinkle with fresh herbs and serve warm

I used a fantastic sausage that I got at Costco. It is called Coleman Organic Sun-dried Tomato and Basil Chicken Sausage. It is organic, no added antibiotics or hormones, vegetarian fed chicken. Because of the theme of the sausage I added a bit of fresh basil on top of my dish to give some color. You can add any fresh herb you would like.
Yummy sausage

I always have a difficult time figuring how many servings a meal I make has because my boyfriend and I eat giant portions and often go back for seconds. I am going to figure this meal serves 4 though. I mean, it is six sausages and a pound of potatoes! So figuring on that here is the nutritional breakdown per serving:

Calories: 333g
Fat: 17g
Fiber: 3g
Protein: 22.5g

Of course, between me, my boyfriend and my dog (my dog was going crazy for it!) we ate the whole thing in one sitting. I now have all kinds of cravings for potato dishes. I hope this summer provides my parents with more potatoes than they can handle.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: