How's the diet going?

9:19 AM AirplaneFoodCritic 0 Comments


What IS a diet? When most people hear the word "diet" they think of a temporary eating program. This is often what the word is used to describe. But think about when you are watching the nature channel and they say that the yellow bellied warbling rooster finch has a diet of leaves and worms. Do you think they mean he is trying to lose weight? No, I diet is simply what you are eating. Last year, my diet consisted of pot stickers and pizza. That is pretty much it. I gained a lot of weight. As you know, in the last few months I have lost all that weight with another diet: a low calorie diet. Now I am at a weight that I like. It isn't my goal weight but I am not worried about that at this time. I gained four pounds on my vacation. Not too terrible seeing as how I ate burgers and pizza and really fruity, sweet drinks every single day for almost two weeks. Also, my cold that I had for the last week made me feel starved so I was just gorging on anything I could get my hands on.

Since I have been home I have started to eat healthy again. My breakfasts consist of one of the following:

Whole wheat english muffin with almond butter and banana slices

Power smoothie with bananas, strawberries, flax seeds, soy milk and almond butter

Beans and a poached egg

Protein bar (if I am running late for work)

My lunches have been fantastic. I bought some Lavash from Trader Joe's and have been having a lot of fun filling it.
Lavash bread from Trader Joe's

What I love about this bread is that it is square so you can make a wrap much easier than with a tortilla. Plus, it holds more! I also love it's texture when you grill up on a panini maker for just a little bit.

I went to Costco and bought a pre-cooked turkey breast and this really yummy artichoke lemon spread.


A similar spread and the turkey from Costco

I spread a little of the artichoke lemon sauce on the lavash, put a couple ounces of cubed turkey then whatever veggies I feel like. I sometimes add a slice of Trader Joe's Jalapeno Yogurt Cheese. I am lucky enough to have a panini maker here at work so at lunch time I just pop my wrap on the grill and toast it up. It is so delicious!!

Another lunch I am loving is a recipe that I have posted on a previous blog. Right now Costco has some perfect papayas. I get up in the morning, take a papaya, peel it and slice it down the center. I scoop out the seeds and place the halves in a tupperware bucket. I then open a can of tuna and add a few chopped pickles, green onions, a scoop of mustard and a dab of yogurt or low cal mayo. I salt and pepper it and mix it all up. I fill the papayas and I am ready for work! It is so tasty and so refreshing to have at work out on the patio.
I am lucky to have such a nice view at work.

For dinner I have been having something I have also posted on a previous blog. It is the chicken or fish pouches. We have gotten more sophisticated with our pouches. If you recall, I take a piece of tin foil and lay it on the counter. I put a piece of chicken or fish in the center and top that with all kinds of yummy things. I seal up the food by making a pouch with the tinfoil and bake it for about a half hour at 350. This week I have added things like lemon, green beans, capers, green olives, kalamata olives, garlic, ginger and fresh herbs like rosemary. There are so many combinations you can use. We have even talked about adding some dry rice and cooking the pouches for an hour. The juices stay in the pouch so you really can not over cook the meat with this method. It is basically fool proof but oh so good for you!

Last night I made a stir fry to use up some of the veggies that were in my fridge. The bf said it was one of the best meals I have ever made! I will include the recipe in a following blog so I can make it again and actually take pictures of it. Stay tuned!!

You Might Also Like

0 comments: